The original Hook & Ladder Company started in Atwood in the 1890s.

   In 1912 the fire equipment consisted of three hand pulled wagons; one with a pump, a hose reel wagon, a ladder wagon with fire pails.  This equipment was housed in a building on Arthur Street beside the Feed Mill.  The fire bell was located down town at Peebles Hardware Store.  This bell now sits by the present day fire station. 

   Before World War II a hand drawn extinguisher was kept at Mr. Valance’s garage, also located down town. 

   The Listowel Fire Department covered Atwood and area from 1935 to 1974.

   In 1974 Elma Township started a new Fire Department with the fire hall being located at 141 Arthur Street with this department existing to date.